(ET) por-15 metal ready - made my parts rust?

After stripping the E-15 down to the frame (for the most part), and using a chemical paint stripper to strip off the paint, this weekend I applied POR-15s Metal REady to prep it for the POR-15 paint. You spray the stuff on, then rinse it off (thoroughly) a while later. It's supposed to leave a zinc coating to help prevent rusting. It needs to dry thoroughly before painting, and nothing in their directions indicates that you need to paint right away (I figure the zinc coating should allow it to go a little while before painting). That was Sunday. I just looked at the tractor parts now, and where there used to be nice shiny metal, is now rust and corrosion. The fenders were almost completely rust-free before, nice shiny silver metal. Now, they are almost covered with a coat of rust. What's the deal? I had stripped the fenders of paint a while ago, and they set for over a week bare without showing any visible signs of rust starting. Now, within a few days of spraying with the Metal Ready, they're covered in rust - which I'm presumably going to need to scrape off now. Maybe they should call this stuff "Rust Ready"?

Mike

--

Michael S. Briggs
UNH Physics Department