Re: (ET) Here's the actual battery

Arnold Sabatelli wrote:
 > Jim, Thanks, they look to be of 2 styles.  4 of them are the "UTL" and
 > 2 of them are "flat block."  The cables almost fit over the fatter
 > part of the UTL, but clearly they don't fit on the "flat block."  I
 > was hoping to run the tractor on these batteries.
 >
 >>http://www.usbattery.com/pages/usbterminals.htm

Arnold,

I would just buy some cable lugs from a hardware store, auto parts supply store, etc, then cut the original battery post clamps off and crimp the new lugs on. Marine cable lugs probably work best for they're coated for a corrosive enviroment, but any should do.

Make sure you get some dielectric grease too to apply onto the clean stripped end of the cable before crimping the lugs on, to ensure they maintain a good clean connection.

The UTL and flat type posts are not as high as UT's and dont need to be cut off, BUT please dont just pry open the battery clamps to fit on the "Fatter part" of the post. The last owner of my E-12 did exactly that to fit it onto trojans with UTL's and ruined every battery clamp there was in the tractor. He even used a washer and a nut on top of them and it all came loose after a short period of time. Don't even bother doing that unless you plan to just bench-test the tractor before replacing the cables.

Matt