Re: (ET) Here's the actual battery

Arnold Sabatelli wrote:
> Jim, Thanks, they look to be of 2 styles.  4 of them are the "UTL" and
> 2 of them are "flat block."  The cables almost fit over the fatter
> part of the UTL, but clearly they don't fit on the "flat block."  I
> was hoping to run the tractor on these batteries.
>
>>http://www.usbattery.com/pages/usbterminals.htm

Ah-ha!

The UTL on 4 of your batteries is the low version of the standard UT type. If you take the bolts out of your cable ends and use a screw driver to pry the sides open a bit, they will fit over the fatter part. BUT... since they are the low version, there isn't enough meat to clamp onto for a good connection. I'd check again and see if you might have the taller UT style which would be just what you need. Note that a) the cables have a top and a bottom so you have to put them on the right way up for the taper to match the taper of the post, and b) the positive and negative terminals are different diameters so you have to get the right ends to match.

The flat block style on the other 2 is rare, and indeed don't work with your existing cables. Since you already have these, I'd be tempted to put them up front and change the cable ends to a flat lug to match, and then be good about making sure the nut stays tight.

If the first 4 are really UTL's and with the other 2 mis-matched, then I might look to trade for different batteries.

--
Jim Coate
1970's Elec-Trak's