Re: (ET) Rust and Paint

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, ThompsonG DFO-MPO GC CA wrote:

Hi
I can't stay silent anymore I am currently just finishing up a
Auto/Restoration painting class at my local Community college. As such we
dealt with the issue of rust and rust repairs at length.
First, there is no magic bullet, the only way to repair rust is to remove
it
completely and replace the missing metal if required. The only way to do
this is by sand blasting (or soda, or glass) But, you get the drift and it
is highly unlikely that this can be done in a small shop, although some
restorers (eg, Don Barry) can do it quite well. It is usually best done in
dedicated sandblasting shop. So if you really want it done right send it
out.

Why do you feel sandblasting is the only way to remove rust? Sandblasting is just a process of using abrasion to scour off the rust. There are many ways to generate abrasion, sand blasting certainly isn't the only one. Do you feel that grinding it off with wire brush wheel on a grinder doesn't get it all?

Mike