Re: (ET) Garden Pulling with the E20

Hmmmm...

I wonder if you were limited by the motor, or the batteries.

Did you do this with floodies?

You said that on the second pull you went into higher current sooner. I
would expect that if you didn't recharge
between runs. Maybe some AGM's or NiCads would help.

You also said "I rememberd that the more a series wound DC motor is slowed
down, the more torque it produces (and amps
it pulls, I started to smell the current shunt) ..."

That's true. But, the ET drive motor is not a series wound, it is shunt,
the small series winding is effectively
useless. Now if you happen to have a snow-thrower or tiller motor laying
around......

But really I am thinking the problem is with sagging flooded batteries and
small wiring. I suspect that GE purposely
used the small wire gauge that they did to limit current.

I was working on my Jr. Dragster just last week and noticed that the wires
going to my motor (stock GE E-15 motor and
wires) were getting very hot compared to the rest of the system. I
replaced them with the same wire that I'm using for
the rest of the system and those are now stone cold, with a significant
increase in starting torque. As a side note, I
am removing the drive motor and replacing it with a snowthrower motor. I
hope to get more low end torque, and likewise
a better holeshot.

--
Stay Charged!
Hump

Get your own FREE evgrin.com email address;
send a request to ryan at evsourcecom