Re: (ET) Deck Motors

What exactly happens when they fail? Is there smoke, are they extremely hot, or do they just quit?

If they just suddenly don't run (especially after sitting) it could just be stuck brushes.

You can ohm things out to be sure the thermal switch is working.

Please detail as much as you can about what's going on. These motors arer pretty robust. I would think the biggest problems these motors would face are: stuck brushes (easy to fix), physical damge (pretty obvious), and weak magnets from severe overheating.

There is a source (or was) online for new motors - some alternate energy place; but they weren't cheap.

- SteveS

Erick Smith wrote:
My Wheelhorse E141 seems to eat up deck motors - went through 3 last summer and I am now down to only two good motors.

Local DC motor places can't seem to rebuild them.

Anyone have any idea who will rebuild 36v deck motors?
Or know where I might be able to buy them?

Other than the fact that these were old, I'm not sure why they are going out. There is what appears to be a safety shutoff each motor to prevent overheating, but, perhaps because these are old motors, they were not working. Thoughts?

Erick Smith