Re: (ET) Alltrax install!

Yes the brake switch adjusted to open as soon as the pedal is moved down ever so slightly.  I will try this suggestion as soon as it warms up around here.  Adjusting the switch is a lot easier than changing the wiring.

I still would like the throttle to shut off (without the plug braking coming on), when the brake pedal is pushed down a little, or the parking brake is on.  I remember my mother learning to drive and standing on the brakes and gas at the same time, then complaining about the car being to hard to stop.

Ralph Vogan

Mike Wallace wrote:

How many of you guys have the brake switch adjusted to open as soon as the pedal is moved down ever so slightly?  I think this might be your problem.

Originally, I think GE wanted the brake switch to act as a "kill the tractor in a panic stop situation", not every time you just barely pushed the pedal down.  I kinda looked at it as the "wife's switch", as in when she wanted to stop but still had her right foot on the speed control pedal on my WH C-185.

This scenario is even more likely when applied to the large frame tractors with the dash mounted speed control.  In an emergency/panic like situation, it's a lot easier (and more natural) to mash the brake pedal to the floor than to reach for the speed control lever on the dash.

I may not remember our exact phone conversation all that well as it was probably close to two years ago by now, but I think Steve Richardson had his brake switch (on an E15 with dash mounted speed control) adjusted "your" way because he never knew how it was supposed to be adjusted.  Check out Paragraph 1.15  BRAKE SWITCH ADJUSTMENT on page 1-24 of the Home Owner's Service Manual.

I personally think the brake switch should still be adjusted to open just before the brake pedal bottoms out on the footrest.   Try it and I think your hill problem will go away.

Mike in KY

Ralph said,

"A while back several people (including me) wrote in about the brakes grabbing when we tried to slow down a little bit.  Now I see it is the motor that is stopping us.  I have a steep hill in back of my house with no way to go around it.  The tractor speeds up going down, and when I touch the brake pedal I slow down for about a foot then the wheels lock up.  The tractor tears up the grass and will start sliding sideways, very scary."