(ET) Judging a good crimp

 - Greetings -

Eric Adams asked a find question about the quality of a crimp.  I looked
back in my archives and found this response from Bill Dube.

        "The Navy tests connections by the amount of force it takes to pull
out the wire. They say it should take at least 70% of the breaking strength
of the wire to pull it out of the terminal."

He <billdube killacycle com> also passed along this information.

        "The Navy studies showed that a properly crimped connection was
better
than a crimped and soldered connection in high-vibration environments
(like a car, for example.) This is because there is a stress concentration
at the point where the solder stops. This causes the wire to break at that
point. The crimped connection does not have a sharp stress concentration
point."

Hope this helps.

                                        Rhett