Re: (ET) DC-AC rotary converter heats the wires

I had the same problem with the plug.  No problem with the drill etc but the converter drew to much amps.  I ordered a new plug from Bill and have not had a problem since.
Rob Brockway

Christopher Zach <czach computer org> wrote:
As discussed, the Elec-trak rotary converter is a nice thing. Maybe too
much of a nice thing because while it can put out a lot of power on the
AC side it's got a problem:

It's burning up my socket.

I smelled a bit of burning wire while using it and checked the E20. Sure
enough the two screws that hold the wire to the 20 amp Molex plug were
*HOT*. Which kind of makes sense as the wires are old and the
socket/plug is rated for 20 amps. According to my E-meters I was pulling
around 30 amps at full load which makes sense if you think 36*30=1080
watts and 900 AC out the inverter (.9 efficiency).

Still, that's a problem. Does this happen with other Elec-trak users?
Compared to this inverter, the drill and little tools are nothing.
Should I replace the socket with a new Molex? Clean and tighten? Or
should I just go to using 40 amp AMP connectors like I do for other good
sized accessories?

Chris