Re: (ET) Elec-Trak controls for 2005?

Bill Wallace wrote:

> My first question would be who, if anyone, has access to the most recent
> version of the wiring diagrams, the service bulletins, etc.?  I know
> about
> the ones on the elec-trak.org site but for this to work we have to cover
> as many variations as practical.  The second would be does anyone know
> how
> many versions there were and how much they vary?  From what I understand
> we MAY be able to make a board that works for E-15s and E-20s if it is
> done in such a way that field weakening is optional.

Hi Bill,

I'm missing something in this discussion.  My tractor is a New Idea
EGT-150,
which is supposed to be the latest incarnation of the E-15.  I've poked
around in all the places that look pokable and I haven't seen a circuit
board of any substantial size.  It's all just switches, relays and wiring
in
between.

I think the idea of making replacement electrical assemblies is a sound
one,
but I wonder if it's possible to make one or more that would cover enough
tractors to be worth it.  I think that's the first step - determining how
few you can get by with to cover the greatest market.  Keep in mind that
many will balk at installing your board(s) if there is a lot of adaptation
involved.  An upgrade is supposed to reduce risk, not increase it.

Even after you do that, the next question is whether you can create
something that will be a desirable alternative to putting in an Alltrax.
An
Alltrax isn't cheap, but neither are short-run circuit boards.

I know that I have a very low tolerance of events that present me with a
tractor that's dead in the middle of the yard, forcing me to get out the
meter and start diagnosis.  I can't afford the time.  (Just towing it back
to the garage would be a major hassle for me.)  Most likely one such
occurrence will prompt an order to Alltrax.

Chris