(ET) Major upgrades to my E-12

Well listmembers, I have recently performed a few major upgrades
to my E-12, and it could be called maintence as well.

I first replaced my old battery pack with 6 new "no name" brand
batteries from the local supply house.  Cost $384 inc. tax.

I next decided to check into why my charger was not performing
well.  While the batteries were out I discovered one of the
diodes had smoked itself.  The batteries would charge, but it
took a LONG time.  I guess that's explained.

Given that the factory charger is inefficient in modern terms,
and cannot account well for tapping 1/2 the pack for lift and
lights, I decided to do some real searching on available
replacement chargers.

The OE charger is close to 1000 watts, that's 8-10 amps of input
for 15-18 of output.  I was not very pleased with those numbers.

After much searching I discovered there are MANY "bank" chargers
available for 3 bank 12V systems.  These are primarily for the
boating crowd, but I'm not proud and will use what works.  I
found a MinnKota model 315 that would charge 3 12V banks at 5
amps each (60W) for an input of 120V and 4amps (480W).  I like
that MUCH better.  The absolute peak input is slightly lower,
BUT, and it is a BIG BUT, there is virtually ZERO stand-by
consumption and real three step charging!  This means that I can
leave my tractor plugged in 24/7 for slightly LOWER annual cost
than using the OE charger "As needed".  This should greatly
increase pack life, and useability especially in the winter months.

John G, '73 E12