Re: (ET) Major upgrades to my E-12

On 2 Sep 2005 at 13:25, John G wrote:

> This means that I can
> leave my tractor plugged in 24/7 for slightly LOWER annual cost
> than using the OE charger "As needed".

Make absolutely sure that your charger's final stage is actually a float
stage (13.2 to 13.8 volts per 12v module).

That said ...

IMO, it's a waste of energy to float-charge batteries, unless they are in
standby application, where they'll be unused for many months but might be
called upon to provide as much energy as possible at any time.  Standby
batteries usually die from positive grid corrosion, a result of the
continual charging.

Self discharge is especially low in cool temperatures (during winter).
Even
when the tractor is stored for the winter, there's no need for float
charging.
I suggest you pull the plug once the charger has gone to float stage.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

Note: mail sent to the "from" address above may not reach me.  To
send me a private message, please use "evdl at drmm period net."
Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.

                               -- Johnny Hart