Re: (ET) Charging

On 18 Jul 2005 at 11:47, James Jarrett wrote:

> With an "automatic" golf
> cart style charger, what is the best way to take care of the batteries
> in the winter when not being used much?

Golf car batteries kept clean, dry, and cool self-discharge very slowly.
In
the wintertime, there is no real need for any kind of battery maintainer.
(Look at this way: battery dealers store batteries for months at a time,
usually  without any charging.)

Just keep the tops clean and dry.  Check with a hydrometer about a week
after the last charge of the season, and record the reading.  Read again
monthly and if the SG has dropped appreciably, charge for an hour or so.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

Note: mail sent to the "from" address above may not reach me.  To
send me a private message, please use "evdl at drmm period net."
     I believe in an America where the separation of church and state
     is absolute ... where no minister would tell his parishoners for
     whom to vote, where no church or church school is granted any
     public funds or political preference ... where no religious body
     seeks to impose its will ... upon the general populace or the public
     acts of its officials.
                                  -- President John F Kennedy