(ET) Off topic inverters for parade float.

Title: Message

I was trying to power a parade float for the 4th of July parade this year and ran into some problems with the sound system.  We were trying to power a small band.  (keyboard, guitar, and amp for that and 2 mics.)  My inverter was putting out 170 volts (no load) and got me nerves so we didn’t use it.   I sent a message to Tripp Lite and this is the email chain.  Now I have more questions about using the inverter for fear of messing up equipment..

My first response to trip lite:

I have an older 400 watt tripp-lite inverter (maybe 10 years old).  I haven’t used it much at all but when I tried to use it yesterday to power a sound system for a float, it started giving us problems.  The output was almost 170 volts (no load, measured at the inverter and at the end of a 25 ft 12 gauge extension cord).  I am located in Brighton, MI 48116.  Where would I take it to have it fixed?

Thanks.
Tim Chapin.

There response:

Dear Consumer,

The output reading of 170vAC from the inverters is normal. This inverter output's a square wave form that why the voltage is so high.

My second response:

Thanks for the information.  Now I have some concerns about the high voltage (170) on high end electric guitars, keyboards and amps.  Is there a concern about frying this equipment?  I would hate to mess up some of this stuff because it is personal property and not mine.

I have not received there reply yet.  Am I taking a risk of frying something by trying to run the inverter?  What would be a better solution?

To add an elec trak spin..   I would have loved to pull it with my e12m but we ended up putting the drummer in the pickup box to make enough room on the float…

Thanks for any help…