(ET) Elec-Trak E20 Wiring

Paul Holzschuher wrote to ask how long the wiring took:

The overall conversion required about a year, but I received two controllers that would not function in my E20 which were replaced under warranty. The latest controller seems OK, but my tests have not been extensive at this point so my comments cannot be given much merit.

The AllTrax instructions are adequate for anyone with some electronic knowledge. If you have maintained the original GE Elec-Trak over the years you will have no trouble provided you listen to the Digest Members warnings about the PTO connections etc, with and open mind. My main difficulties stemmed from a stubborn, nearly 84 year old mind unable to cope with the new generation of electronics. I have no training in electronics even though I have built a number of computers, the latest being Media Center 2005 which incidentally is wonderful. Years ago I built a Thomas Theater Organ by Heath Kit which meant the soldering of 1500 to 2000 resistors, caps, diodes, and transistors with no real trouble. A local professional organist played it in a musical performance at the Mall. The instructions were step by step which made it easy. I have kept my faithful old E20 in the garage in running order for many years so I couldn’t ditch it when parts were no longer available, thus the DCX300 ET.

I have no knowledge of the C-185 so no help there. As to pictures, I’ll try to make some if you tell me what you want to see. With my small Intel PC Camera the quality will not be very good, but I can attach pictures to your email. Let me know with your email address where you want them sent. Thank you, Raymon