RE: (ET) Tiller, take zero

Tiller notes...

The weight box normally used as a counterbalance for the snow thrower
makes a fine counterbalance for the tiller.
It can actually be made heavier than the mower deck.  It won't snap in two.

The lift chain is to set the cut depth, the strap is only for lift.  I
think the manual lift (which I haven't seen in person) uses an adjustable
chain length on the lift itself.  To lift the tiller with an electric lift
you MUST double back the strap like a block and tackle.

Tiller tines, even when 'sharp' are VERY dull compared to mower blades.
Go find a Troy-Built dealer and look at the tines.  That is how sharp
yours should be.  Believe it or not, very sharp tines cut HARDER than
slightly duller ones; there is more surface area in contact with the
ground.  Sharp tines also wear much faster.  These are supposed to be
'self-sharpening' to some extent.  The problem is dull tines plug with
weeds easier.  Plugging with weeds is my number 1 problem, and with the GE
'4 tine' design, they are harder to clean out than on say a Troy-Built
with a 2 tine design.

The tiller is really a cultivation tool.  Fresh sod can only be tilled if
you scalp the weeds/turf first, and then dig so deep the thing won't take
off on you driven by the tiller.  You are better off with a plow first.
LL is normal for slightly packed soil.  For later cultivation in sandy
soil (like I do with my strawberries) I can run in L at 3" depth, or even
D1 at 1.5" depth.  BTW, this is one area where a machine with more
electrical speeds, an E15 or E20 shines over an E12; the lowest electrical
speed is lower, and the highest electrical speed is higher so you can get
a good fit to the soil.  For cultivation, you can shift the tiller to one
side on the toolbar as it is substantially narrower than the tractor.  A
simple stainless hose clamp will keep it from sliding.  I made side guards
too for tight cultivation.

The tiller load should be no higher than your mower load.  Either the
tiller is plugged, too deep, or you have another problem.  If you continue
to till in the yellow for long periods, the thermal interlock will trip.
It's on the side of the frame mount in the triangular shaped area.  Wait a
few minutes and press it in hard with a screwdriver.  You will hear it
snap in.

There are two hitch settings on the axle.  One is supposed to be for more
aggressive tilling, but I choose the one with the most ground clearance.

I made a rear toolbar and have mounted a planter behind on occasion.  The
thing becomes LONG.

Larry Elie