(ET) Charger bad

Well, I noticed that my Landis controller was cycling quite frequently. I
checked the "level" gauge and it was right on the line between green and
white while on charge.
The charger was outputting about 39.5 volts, each batt is at around 6.5
volts.  I put a pair on my 12 volt charger and they immediately started
pulling 13 amps so I figure they are quite low.

I say about, because I was using a cheap analog voltmeter.

So... I took the charger out of the tractor last nite, (what a job).

My plans are to get a new capacitor, based on what I remember from reading
posts on this list.

On the bench, with no load, the charger puts out about 32v, without the
cap, and 40 with the cap. I seem to recall that it should be more like 45
with the cap, thus my reason for replacing it. Both diodes check good even
though they look like their 30 yrs old

Mine happens to be the 4uf cap.

While re-assembling the charger into the tractor, I plan to reconnect the
connections with a connector instead of terminal lugs. Any suggestions?

I have to replace every bolt I touched, which is par.

Kind of ironic, ain't it Bob....

--

Stay Charged!
Hump