Re: (ET) Skipping steering

I kept having problems with the steering on my I-5 ET.

I kept adding shims under the cotter pin - and weeks later would have loose
steering again.

I discovered the root cause - the roll pin that is supposed to secure the
horizontal shaft to the steering gear was not driven into the hole in the
shaft.

I carefully tapped on the "cotter" end of the shaft while putting a large
mallet behind the steering gear until I saw the hole in the shaft through
the steering gear.

Then I was able to hammer the roll pin completely into the hole - haven't
had any further problems.

You guys should check the condition of the roll pin - it could be sheared.
With the roll pin in place I only needed one shim washer under the cotter
pin.  I found perfect washers at Lowe's Hardware.

Monty McGraw
I-5 with homemade "Oz Bucket" and now a Large Mount Dozer Blade

---