Re: (ET) [Fwd: Re: PICS of E20 with mower in Virgina]

Ok, I'll buy that.

I've seen some toasted Elec-Traks as well, and it seems that the problems are either rust (a real pain to fix on anything) or those oddball controller cards on the E15 series tractors.

The E20's card 4 doesn't really do much aside from field weakening cutout control and some reverse tricks with diodes. From what I can see, the E15 is very complicated, with capacitors and one-shot SCR units to provide the timing delay inherent in the E20's more heavy use of contactors. My guess is the E15 is a lot cheaper to make than the mechanical E20 solution.

However this does bring up a point: Elec-Traks are not point and shoot tractors. They are not like the average Craftsman tractor which can basically be run with no maintenance till they fall apart in 7-8 years. In owning an Elec-Trak one sort of has to be able to do simple troubleshooting and some wire tracing/component replacement when needed. If nothing else, it's 30+ years old. And we're running them in production (well I am; mine needs to mow and blow reliably)

That said, the E12's and E10/8's are about as simple as one can find. In fact I'd have to say the E12 is about the most point and shoot Elec-Trak with the best bang for the buck. But even with an Altrax and a Landis one is still going to have to fiddle with the tractor to keep it running.

Is it worth it: Yes. Is it simple: Eh, depends. It's a bit harder without Bill, however I think the community here has filled that gap. Such is the way of things with any type of oddball, be it a Delorean, a Lotus, an electric car, or an electric tractor.

If someone's on this list they should be able to get this running. Heck, I'll get it running for you :-)

Chris

The Nauglers wrote:
Chris and others,

Having seen a fair number of ill maintained ETs I was warning that the
relatively minor problems seen in the E20 photos may be indicative of
anywhere between poor maintenance to outright electrical incompetance.
Chris, you were right that perhaps the problem of the E20 being unable to
move might be no more than a loose wire.  Or it may be failed control
boards, relays that have fallen apart, or worse.  The winner should be
aware
that the E20 may or may not be an easy fixer upper.  That is why I
suggested
that it may want to be looked at as a candidate for a controls upgrade.  If
it turns out to be an easy fixer upper, that would be icing on the cake.

With respect to the odd motor on the deck not being in the middle, I was
merely repeating advice given to me by Bill Gunn.  He thought that
balancing
the deck mechanically was beneficial for lifting reasons.  The small and
large diameter motors don't weigh the same.

Steve Naugler
snaugler earthlink net

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Zach" <czach computer org>