Re: (ET) E8 power control

*nod* This is one case where I agree. I'd also say that the resistor bands on the E12 and better have the advantage of "buffering" the motor when starting out. The extra power pulse is absorbed by the resistors.

I think the tractor would be tough to drive without this.

Chris

Bob Murcek wrote:

Ya know, putting a controller on an E8 is actually a bigger benefit than
putting one on one of the larger tractors since it allows elimination of
the clutch!

Christopher Zach <czach computer org> 9/1/2004 4:44:12 PM >>>

Actually the speed control on all but the 15 and 20 was resistors in series with the armature. The 15 and 20 also had field weakening for the higher speeds along with circuitry to shut down FW if the current draw to the armature became too high (say going up a molehill)

The E8 is pretty much as simple as you can get; one motor speed, with the slack taken up by the clutch and a little transmission to provide torque/speed. It runs the motor full armature voltage/fixed field.

I'd guess the current to be less than my E20, which is around 175amps full blast (more with the snowblower, but I have yet to blow snow in D2/Speed 8 :-) So a 150 amp controller would probably do it.

Chris

IMPORTANT WARNING: The information in this message (and the documents
attached to it, if any) is confidential and may be legally privileged. It
is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this message by anyone
else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken, or omitted to be
taken, in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have
received this message in error, please delete all electronic copies of
this message (and the documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard
copies you may have created and notify me immediately by replying to this
email. Thank you.