Re: (ET) Bill

On 11 Jun 2004 at 22:37, Keith Stieg wrote:

> Bill has a computer, used to be part of this LIST, He was sick of all
> the Bull S**t on this list!

I do seem to remember that Bill was once a member here.  I don't recall
him
participating in very many discussions, but I might have come in late
after
his "heyday" was past.

That said, I suspect that he left the list for the same reason he now
wants
out of the business - it takes up time that he needs for other matters.

We don't know what Bill's private life is like. Maybe his mother has just
gone
into the hospital and he needs more time to spend with her before she
passes
away.  Maybe his wife has threatened to leave him if he doesn't put more
time
into the relationship.  Maybe one of his kids has gotten into trouble and
the
counselor says "spend more time with the kids."

Of course this is *^-ALL SPECULATION-^*, I have absolutely no reason to
think
that any of these things has happened.  I'm just giving examples of
reasons
that friends of mine have cited when they had to change ^their^ lives and
their priorities.

I'd guess that Bill had some reason for NEEDING the time he was spending
reading and replying to the ET list.  Now he probably has some reason for
NEEDING the time he was spending on the phone with ET owners - who
probably
did sometimes seem thankless, but that's just another contributing factor.

I don't think we can reverse that.  We should move ahead toward developing
knowledge base and parts source list, and perhaps forming a co-op to
manufacture or source difficult parts.  That's the future, even if Clay
(whom
I applaud for his initiative) somehow convinces Bill to stick around one
more
year - or even two.

One thing more.  With all due respect to Keith, I don't think it's at all
fair
to characterize the dialogue on this list as "bulls**t."  This is one of
the
most useful lists to which I subscribe.  It's almost unfailingly on-topic.

The members are dignified, thoughtful, helpful, and respectful of one
another.
 Probably calling the list's content "wet sweepings" (thanks to my high
school
German teacher for that one ;-) wasn't Keith's intent - he may have been
quoting Bill on it - but I still don't think it's true.  This is a fine
list
with a fine bunch of members, and I for one thank all of you.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
Twenty years ago, one out of every six federal tax dollars was
generated by a corporation. That has now fallen to about one out
of every 10.

                  -- Arianna Huffington, Salon Magazine