(ET) When in doubt, brute force works (how to get flange off)

Ah the joy of brute force. It never fails.

That said, this is *very* important: The flange that the blade attaches to contains a spacer. Thus when you pull you have to put a small shaft *into* the flange to the motor, then pull *FROM THERE*. DO NOT PRESS AGAINST THE OUTSIDE OF THE FLANGE LIKE YOU THINK YOU SHOULD.

I figured this out after applying a massive amount of heat (read oxy-acetylene) to the flange. Then putting a smaller sized bolt in, putting the assembly in my vise, and hitting the bolt with my sledgehammer.

Note: You will go thru a few bolts. Life is like that.

Eventually the flange/spacer will come off.

Chris