Re: (ET) How do you remove the mower motor flanges?

Chris Zach <czach computer org> wrote:
> So I want to overhaul my deck motor. Tall, thin, 30 years old or so. In
> order to do this you have to remove the bottom mower flange.
>
> So I try to use a bearing puller. No dice; ripped the puller apart.

          < snip >

Chris also wrote:
> One hint: It does look like the factory "peened" the end with a punch or
> something. Am I correct in that the motor shaft goes to the bottom of
> the flange there? Or should I be putting the force against a bolt
> screwed in there (ie: The motor shaft is not as long as I think)

Chris - You've got it on that last post! I've "been there, done that" myself.

I think you are making the same mistake I did the first time. The motor shaft DOES NOT go to the bottom of the flange - there is a section of the flange across the end of the shaft, and the only part of the shaft you can see is the threaded hole. Yes, screw a bolt into the hole, then put your puller shaft on the bolt head. Use some solvent on the shaft, it should pop right off.

Then put anti-sieze on before you re-assemble it.

Erv Troyer (60; 5 running tractors, 2 or 3 more for parts.)
Lagrange, IN