(ET) Mower motor stuff

Since I couldn't get my mower motor flange off, I figured I'd try and clean it out. A bit of brake cleaner rinsing got a lot of gunk out of the bottom bearing and now it spins more freely.

Problem is this: Still doesn't spin when put together. In fact it feels as if the armature is rubbing against the magnets for some reason. There is no side-to-side play, it's just rubbing and I think this is part of the cause of the extreme friction and the "chug chug" operation under 12 volts (with insane current draws)

What happened with these motors? They sat all winter; that's the only thing I can think of that happened.

Chris