RE: (ET) coop parts purchasing

On 11 Jun 2004 at 9:43, Elie, Larry (L.D.) wrote:

> He is independent.  I don't think this will work.

Ah.  I think I'm beginning to understand now.

Bill is like me.  I can't resist a challenge and will spend hours that I
don't
have, doing something that returns me nothing except good feelings and the
sense of accomplishment.  I'll bet there are plenty of others like me on
this
list.

But at some point that attitude becomes a problem for a person with a
life.
Real work, finances, and personal relationships get short shrift because
you've made too many commitments to the challenge you love.  When it gets
that point, the only solution is to go cold turkey, attack the addiction
(that's what it is), and dig into the things that really matter in the
long
run.  To do this, you have to get as far away from that addiction as
possible.

Now, I don't know for sure that this is what's happening to Bill.  But if
it
is, and if he's resolved to stop spending too many hours helping ET
owners,
then it's quite possible that nothing, not money, not a ordering and
support
front-end to help him, will dissuade him.

So what can we do?

I say absolutely do not try to work through a for-profit corporation.
Black
and Decker and others are committed to nothing but next quarter's returns
-
they have to be; that's their responsibility to their shareholders.  Even
if
some corporation would accept the ET parts business - which is very
doubtful -
they'd not hesitate to cut it loose in a heartbeat if it didn't pay its
own
way.  Then we'd be in worse shape than we are now - ask the folks who
tried to
buy the short-production road EVs and parts for them from the big
automakers
when they quit making them.

My bet's on a private co-op.  Form a nonprofit corporation, buy out Bill's
stock, get the rights to his intellectual property, and I'll gladly give
you
$50 or even $100 a year for the right to trade with you.  But I think that
trying to hand Bill $100 for the same privelege - especially as a surprise
proposal, which I suspect will be an unpleasant and unwelcome surprise for
him
- is a dead end.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
Americans are satisfied with things because they are large; and
if not large, they must have cost a great deal of money.

                            -- Lepel Henry Griffin, ca. 1885