Re: (ET) coop parts purchasing

>  He really doesn't want to do SUPPORT anymore.

- If that's the problem, it's too bad Bill isn't internet friendly. He
could
refer everyone to the list, and he could sit in on it, let the easy
problems
be handled by others, and chime in when, and if, he felt like it. That way
he isn't bothered when he doesn't want to be, he doesn't have to explain
umpteen times how to fix common problems, and we all benefit directly from
his expertise. I'm on a list for vintage BMW motorcycles and we have a few
gurus that compile repair info on their web sites and chime in when needed.
It really works well. And all the little tricks that have been figured out
over time are documented and available to all.

I'm on the fence about the 'bribe'. If he's tired of support, I don't see
how that will help. If he really wanted to continue, and was open to
something new, then I think the suggestion I made above would solve the
problem. But I get the idea he's very independent and will do it his way or
no way. Which is really too bad.

In the end, I am not overly worried about keeping our tractors running. I
think we have collected a reasonable amount of collective wisdom that can
solve most problems. We do need to preserve as many 'junkers' as we can to
have at least some source of parts. We also have alternative solutions
(Alltrax, etc) for those that don't mind not being 'period correct' (big
topic on the BMW list). Some things like blades, mower motors, lift straps,
etc could be a problem, but I think as each need arises someone will step
up
with a solution.

What I do worry about is the potential loss of the history, drawings,
molds,
etc. These could easily end up being dumped as they may not be of value to
someone who is simply buying up a 'spare parts' inventory. I hope someone
on
the list that has some rapport with Bill can work out something there. I
would be willing to put money into a capital equipment/documention rights
buyout. Say, if, at some point, mower decks must be fabricated, it would be
nice to have the molds available, or make decals etc. legally.

- SteveS