Re: (ET) Mower motor strength requirements

I was just thinking about what you said regarding speed. If anyone has one
of the older tachometers (talking to the 40+ generation out there now) that
you use to use a inductive pickup on a spark plug wire maybe someone can
find out what is normal speed of a ICE mower.  I threw out my tach unit
many decades ago.

I guess maybe there would be a way to get a reading with a hand held
contact tach or the reflective tape tachs but I don't have any of these to
check my old gas mower with.

Dave Reuter

             "Markus Lorch"
             <mlorch vt edu>
             elec-trak-bounces         "'Elec-trak list'"
             @cosmos.phy.tufts         <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
             .edu                                                       cc

                                                                   Subject
             06/04/2004 03:46          (ET) Mower motor strength
             PM                        requirements

With all the discussion about electric push mowers I am
curious how strong electic motors that drive one cutting
blade for push mowers need to be.

I know that small ICE mowers have around 3HP but I assume
that the B&D and Ryobi mowers have much smaller motors as
24V*18Ah should yield a max. of about 400 Watthours, prob.
even less as the batteries are probably rated at a much
lower discharge amperage. Thus if these mowers run for 1 hour
or so then I assume the motors are about 300W. Does anybody
know how strong the ET mower motors are (they drive a smaller
blade)

Also I assume the right cutting speed for such a mower is
around 3000 rpm (just guessing from the typical ICE speed).

Any insights?

Markus