Re: (ET) Mower motor strength requirements

Markus, the strange thing about the B&D is that the motor is rated at 5 peak HP.  That's so far from reality that it's a laugh.  My major complaint about the B&D CMM1000 I own is that it's too weak and doesn't cut well in my opinion.  I believe the "bad cut" to be related to the blade slowing too much in tough cut situations.  When the batteries are at full charge, it doesn't seem to be afficted as much with the cut problem.  If I had to guess at the real HP of this mower, I'd put it about 3/4.  I know how much power 3, 4, 5 hp motors have and this ain't even close.

Darryl

Markus Lorch <mlorch vt edu> wrote:

With all the discussion about electric push mowers I am
curious how strong electic motors that drive one cutting
blade for push mowers need to be.

I know that small ICE mowers have around 3HP but I assume
that the B&D and Ryobi mowers have much smaller motors as
24V*18Ah should yield a max. of about 400 Watthours, prob.
even less as the batteries are probably rated at a much
lower discharge amperage. Thus if these mowers run for 1 hour
or so then I assume the motors are about 300W. Does anybody
know how strong the ET mower motors are (they drive a smaller
blade)

Also I assume the right cutting speed for such a mower is
around 3000 rpm (just guessing from the typical ICE speed).

Any insights?

Markus