Re: (ET) RE: ET mowing

On 8 Apr 2004 at 6:09, George3476 aol com wrote:

>  unfortunately i don't think there were any
> electric ZT's back then as it's been the rage of the last ten years ...

I believe the first tractors built (as prototypes?) by Canada's Electric
Tractor Corp. were a variant on ztr design.  They had a motor per rear
wheel.
There was no steering gear.  Under control of a joystick, the motors did
the
steering.  The setup looked a lot like a wheelchair control (maybe it was).

Rumor has it that they abandoned this design because the cost of two
motors
and a sophisticated control was prohibitive, and because users didn't like
the
unfamiliar control.

Maybe ETC were just ahead of their time.  I've never used a ZTR, but I
guess
they take a fair bit of  getting used to.  This probably isn't a problem
for
the person who works for a landscaping company and uses one every day, but
homeowners, who use them only on weekends, are notoriously conservative in
these matters.  If gas powered ZTRs really are gaining a significant
market
share, perhaps an electric one would have a chance now.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
Open source software has fewer bugs because it admits the possibility
of bugs.

                                        -- Napoleon