Re: (ET) New Electrics

Let me make it clear that I DON'T buy the automakers' anti-EV messages.

But I ^am^ realistic about the challenges of marketing EVs to the general
public.  They are a niche market product and a disruptive one.  They won't
return an immediate profit to the manufacturer.  They require unsettling
changes in the support system.  They don't offer strong, tangible,
^personal^
benefits for most consumers, aside from a certain kind of reverse status -
"conspicuous conservation," if you will.

I'm also realistic about US automakers' attitudes.  Sure they hate EVs.
Some
of that is just plain attitude, but some of it is normal capitalism
fallout.

An automaker would spend millions of dollars on a ground-up EV design,
including developing many new components that haven't reached economy of
scale, and find that consumers will MAYBE pay $20,000 for such a vehicle.
They would probably have to sell it at a loss for several years before
reaching profitability.

Or they could take a 20 to 50 year old vehicle design, using components
whose
design costs were amortized 20 or more years ago and, with a few weeks'
work,
make it into a hot-selling SUV with many thousands of dollars of profit on
each unit.

Put yourself in their places.  You're responsible to your stockholders.
If
you don't show them a profit every quarter, you're out of a job.  Which
one of
the above choices do you make?

The point is, the automakers are only part of the problem.  The real blame
should go on the bottom-line-this-quarter, scorched earth economic system
and
climate that breeds this situation.  And that, folks, I don't know how to
fix.

Note well.  Roger Moore was no angel, but as GM CEO he backed the Impact
and
EV-1 programs.  He lost his job over his economic management of GM -
including
his backing of EVs.

OK, we are now verging off-topic with this thread.  While it's distantly
applicable to ETs, we should probably end this thread or take it offline
now.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
All we learn from history is history repeats.

                     -- Andrew Ratshin