Re: (ET) New Electrics

I think William is right! All good points! The logic, the economics, all
sound. That's why I drive an ET, that's what drives my investents and
purchase calculations. In fact, I bet a lot of the people on this list are
ready to look 10, even 20, even 30 years down the... Hey, wait a sec, could
it be that the members of this list *are not typical consumers*? (Clutches
chest, falls off chair.)

It's not that you aren't right, but it has next to nothing to do with being
right. The lifetime costs of a grid-tie PV system are beyond the
comprehension, let alone planning horizon, of any but the people who think,
and consequently care, about this stuff.

I'll never give up spreading the good word, and I'll never stop doing as
Bucky Fuller first put it: "think global, act local." But even I won't
stick
it to myself too hard, economically, to do the right thing for the planet.
(Have you guys ever heard the term "conspicuous conservation"? That's some
good stuff!)

But I've been around enough to know that reality is subjective and
malleable, and most people prefer a simpler reality, one with as little
guilt, uncertainty and foreboding as they can shape.

Indeed, to be effective in steering the future you have to recognize the
simplicity of our collective behavior.

That's why you TAX GAS. (Or charge at the pump for security in the oil
producing parts of the globe, yes, John, and other costs.) Make it hurt a
little to burn hydrocarbons frivolously. Bang done.

-maxo
who better get back to work