RE: (ET) Re: new electrics

On 20 Feb 2004 at 9:20, Rod Hower wrote:

> Hyster, Yale, Toyota and Linde are going all AC
> across the board on their forklifts in the near
> future.

Which reminds me that I should point out an EV success story.  Two,
actually.

One is E-bikes and E-scooters.  They're selling reasonably well.  The
larger
scooters and E-bikes solve a problem for consumers ("I want to ride but
I'm
out of shape"), and the small ones are kids' toys that don't make noise
and
don't require the kids to handle gasoline (and don't require mom to drive
the gas station to buy more.)  They aren't trying to emulate gas-fueled
vehicles; they have their own niche.  And they don't cost much; many are
cheap
enough to buy with pocket money.  (Partly this is because they're even
more
popular in China, where most are made, than here.  And BTW, there are some
people who believe that the first 4-wheel road EVs to be really popular in
the
US will most likely be Chinese imports.)

The other success story, a more mature one, is burden carriers.  Although
LPG
has some share of the market, EVs (forklifts and golf cars) mostly rule
the
roost in enclosed areas such as warehouses and airports.  These are places
where it costs far more to deal with ICE emissions than to eliminate them
altogether by using EVs.  They are also places where the vehicles have
circumscribed daily missions, and running out of charge is seldom an issue.

David Roden
Akron, Ohio, USA
The question can arise whether with the development of such tech-
nological means of communication as radio, film, and the daily
press, freedom of thought is possible at all.  Does this not mean
constant infection with whatever ideas are in circulation?

                                     -- Czeslaw Milosz, 1942