RE: (ET) Re: new electrics

The cheap batteries have been around for quite a while...
golf cars have created this market: a pack of six US2200
or T105 batteries cost just a few hundred dollars (~$300).

I think the improved power electronics and motor  choices
(in volume, a 3-phase inverter is cheap enough to allow
use of 3-phase AC motor). An AC motor driven by normal
vector drive inverter obviates the need for multiple gears.
Regenerative braking is also easy with AC drive. All the
above would result in significantly improved efficiency vs
GE Electrak-era hardware.

Any necessary 12vdc accessories can be operated
directly from a DC-DC converter. Lighting and markers
could use LEDs and compact fluorescent lamps.

Todays power electronics also make it easy to have a
powerful automatic charger that is "plug and play" to a
standard outlet and provides most of a charge within
2-3 hours. Faster, smarter charging, improved efficiency,
and more completely balanced battery discharging
(vs electrak taps) would lower the AC power use, extend
run time, and lengthen battery performance and pack life.

In addition, todays inverters could easily provide a nice
supply of 120 VAC for portable power tools.

I do think that a modern electric tractor is an unexplored
product with a significant un-served market.

/wk