From: Christopher Zach [mailto:czach computer org]
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 8:42 AM
To: steves
Cc: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) motor on E12S...

Well, true. The E20 does use a set of nice big contactors as opposed to
an itty-bitty relay.

Has anyone thought about replacing the relay with a set of contactors to

reverse the field? I'm not saying duplicate the E20's system, but just
use something a lot bigger than a relay point to switch the field
polarity (and take the spikes)

Thoughts?
Chris

steves wrote:
> I'm remembering more about the E12S...
>
> It is the same wiring as the E15 except it doesn't have the field
weaking
> circuit (the extra FWD speeds). It does reverse the field and that
relay is
> easy to fry. BTW I notice I don't have to be so gentle with FWD/REV
with the
> E20 (found out by accident). I still do seem to recall the E12S uses
an E15
> motor.
>
> Let us know how the controller works! I have another E12S in sad shape
- it
> would be nice to simplify the wiring and get it running.
>
> - SteveS

<daveb seanet com>
> Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 2:10 AM
> Subject: Re: (ET) motor on E12S...
>

>>Thanks.  It is looking more and more like the Alltrac controller will
work

> with
>
>>the E12S motor.  The E12 does use field switching and my machine
continues

>>suffer welded contacts and blown fuses whenever the motor is stopped
>
> change
>
>>directions and the field collapses sending a surge of current back up
the

> line,
>
>>thus my concern with the field losing current.  However I understand
from

> Steve
>
>>Richardson that their controller does monitor have over current
>
> protection.  I
>
>>am verifying also with him that the controller will switch the field
for
>>forward reverse.
>>
>>thanks again for all your responses and increasing my understanding of
>
> motors.
>
>>dave
>>seattle
>>

>>>      The field current requirements for the motors in question is
for

> all
>
>>>intents and purposes identical. In all the twenty some years that I
have
>>>operated either the late model  I-5 , or the earlier model eight
speed

> E-20,
>
>>>I have yet to encounter a situation where field voltage was lost.
>>>     Since I do not have any information on the solid state
controller

> you
>
>>>are planning on utilizing, I can't offer an opinion on whether or not
it
>>>offers armature overcurrent protection.
>>>     I do feel that the chances of a loss of field incident are
slight.

> Few
>
>>>people ask their tractors to do what I ask of mine. If anyone should
>
> have a
>
>>>meltdown, it should be me.
>>>   If your tractor uses field switching for reversing, instead of
>
> armature
>
>>>reversing, I would recommend changing it over. It's not that bad of a
>
> job,
>
>>>especially if you have the Manual, and an organ donor tractor.

One