Re: (ET) Shunt or series

The snow blower on my early model is a series with a special speed limiting shunt winding.  Technically mine is a compound motor.  With the shunt in place speed is limited to 3100 rpm.  If you disconnect the shunt winding the motor accelerates quickly.  Looking at the speed curves on the GE web site, a pure series wound 2.5 hp motor would run very very fast even when putting out 1 hp.

Talking with Bill he said they moved away from this design in later years.  Possibly due to the potential of the shund field failing and allowing the motor to run away.

Rob NH

maxmatic comcast net wrote:
It is, indeed, a series-wound motor.

Doesn't this hint that the guys at GE thought the problem of run-away in a series wound is overrated? I mean, in an app where the load can easily be lost (the chains do break... one has on me!) shouldn't they have used another configuration? (And the motor survived, by the way, in case anyone was worried.)

Or, ha ha, is it a little spare parts prob/stats application!? ("Chain broke? You'll need a new chain, and, er, lemme see, says here a new motor, too...")

-Maxo,
who loves the wealth cheap and available series wound motors,
who has never destroyed one in a run-away,
but who is careful just the same.

--
http://www.maxmatic.com/