RE: (ET) Shunt or series

Hump,

For what it is worth here is a link to my technical papers I have written
over the years. The second one down in the list is an EV dragster I
designed in theory but never built. It was a term paper I wrote for one of
my graduate level engineering courses. It might be an interesting read even
though the power level is much higher.  If nothing else it is interesting
what kind of torque and acceleration looked possible from two 30 hp motors.
Keep in mind it was a very simple model due to the time frame I had to do
the research and design but it should be in the ball park of what could be
achieve.

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/dreutermi/TechPapers.htm

Dave Reuter

                      "T Humphrey"

                      <thumphrey mynra com>              To:
<elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
                      Sent by:                           cc:

                      elec-trak-bounces cosmos ph        Subject:  RE:
(ET) Shunt or series
                      y.tufts.edu

                      01/27/2004 02:03 PM

                      Please respond to thumphrey

I'm not sure about this but I think that if a series motor is kept
around it's nameplate voltage then it won't have a problem with
runaway. The problem comes from using a series motor on a much
higher voltage as is done in EV's to get much greater power out of
them.

I am going to try to use a snowthrower motor on my kids jr
draster, I will power it with much more than 36v. I currently have
6 13ah Hawkers that I plan on using i.e. 72v for a start. I hope
nothing breaks as this will probably overspeed the motor. if
successful I may go up to 144v in 12, 24, or 36v steps. Knowing me
it will probably be two 36 v steps.

I am sure I will need to modify the motor to cool it, since it
runs hot even in the winter.  Then again I may ask my
neighbors(Advanced DC Motors Inc.) if they would like to help us
out a little

Does anyone know the ratings on these snowthrower motors, or the
brush numbers?

Stay Charged!
Hump