OT: Re: (ET) pollution

On 7 Dec 2003 at 22:29, Anton and Federica wrote:

> BD is functionally identical to diesel fuel,
> and burns much cleaner, and doe not contribute to global warming.

Except for the fact that fossil fuel is used:

- To make fertilizer and pesticides to grow the grain
- To transport the fertilizer and pesticides to the farm
- To power the farm equipment that plants, maintains, and harvests the
grain
- To transport the grain to the oil plant for processing
- To transport the oil to your processor, dealer, or home
- To deliver the processed fuel to your distributor (if applicable)

How much fossil fuel?  That I don't know.

However, if you obtain used vegetable oil from local restaurants and
reprocess it into fuel, one could argue that you're getting your fuel with
no
^additional^ use of fossil fuels (providing you haul it with your BD
fueled
vehicle).  You're also saving landfill space.

But even at that, and even though BD burns cleaner than regular diesel,
that
isn't saying much since Diesel is quite high in soot and NOx emssions.
Even BD is never going to be as clean as an EV.

The moral is, don't throw over your ET for a BD tractor!

dr, Akron OH USA