From: "Dave Reuter" <david reuter iavinc com>
To: "Gordon Trump" <trumpgordon adelphia net>
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2003 9:48 AM
Subject: Re: (ET) hybrid ET

I was reading through your comments about the alternator. The auto
alternator is very inefficient, I believe about 40% efficient. So it would
make sense that it would use a lot more gas than a normal tractor. It
probably seemed like you had to use twice as much gas with this device. You
probably did not know back then that you were developing a series hybrid
vehicle. You were a pioneer! Look at all the hype on hybrids now. :)

Dave

                      "Gordon Trump"
                      <trumpgordon adelphia net>         To:
<elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
                      Sent by:                           cc:
                      elec-trak-bounces cosmos ph        Subject:  (ET)
hybrid ET
                      y.tufts.edu

                      12/04/2003 12:50 PM

I did this with my E20 in the early 80s. Could not afford 6 new batteries
to replace weak ones, had 8HP engine laying there...
Mounted the engine (vertical shaft B&S from a riding mower) where the
weight box/range pack had been. It had electric start, tapped off the
lowest 2 batteries.
Used a 110 amp Mopar car alternator and a home-brew regulator to get 40 VDC
out of it. Used 1 v belt, should have had 2. The alternator need to go 4000
rpm to get any useful power- pulley sizing is important.

What did I learn?
A. If batteries are at least OK, it will add range and let you "catch up"
the charge when the tractor is not mowing too hard.
B. If the batteries are really weak or discharged severely, it won't run
the tractor.
C. Pretty inefficient and unpleasant- lot of heat, noise and vibration, gas
consumption- worse than a regular tractor.
D. Needed more engine and more alternator- or a gas tractor;-)
E. Spoiled best aspects of E20. I later took it apart and bought batteries
= quiet again!