Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 6:52 PM
Subject: Re: (ET) GE Sep-Ex controllers?

RJ,

Most controller designs use power mosfet transistors for the main power switch and diodes in the freewheel circuit.  The freewheel circuit a designed to keep the current flowing in the motor windings when the main switching transistors turn off.  Mosfet transistors have very low on resistance compared to "normal" transistors like BJT's.  But the diodes have a higher resistance when they "switch on" than the Mosfets.
For that reason our controller does not use diodes in the freewheel circuit, instead we use Mosfets there also.

I don't know what GE uses in their design, but since they give their ratings at 50% I assume they use diodes in the freewheel circuit....

Hope this clears it up for you.

Steve