Re: (ET) GE Sep-Ex controllers?

No, you're not confused....sort of.

You have the theory correct. When a current flowing in an inductor
is interrupted, the magnetic field collapses. The collapsing
magnetic field of course induces a current to flow, but the
current can't flow without a complete path, so the voltage builds
ever higher until a spark can jump whatever gap it needs to in
order to allow current to flow (momentarily).

Thats what the free-wheeling diodes or mosfet free-wheel switches
are there for....to allow the current to flow and the magnetic
field to collapse "controllably". BUT, it is the inductor(source)
current, not the battery(source) current that is flowing.

Stay Charged!
Hump

Am I wrong
>on this?   Just trying to understand.
>
>On a more important note...when will the Alltrax sep-ex
controller be
>available?   Are there specs available on the net somewhere?
I've been on
>the Alltrax website and don't see anything about it.   I'm ready
for one!
>Where do I get in line?
>
>Thanks,
>tjwilhelm

freewheel circuit,
>instead we use Mosfets there also.
>
>I don't know what GE uses in their design, but since they give
their ratings
>at 50% I assume they use diodes in the freewheel circuit....
>
>Hope this clears it up for you.
>
>Steve
>scr echoweb net <mailto:scr echoweb net>

transistors, are on
>the other 50%.  Anything above or below that point and your
current
>capability drops because the main switch or the freewheel circuit
will be
>conducting harder which makes the heat generated concentrate in
those
>devices.
>
>Our controllers are rated over time and at full throttle and
that's how we
>test them.
>
>Thank you for bringing this to our attention guys !
>
>Steve Richardson
>Alltrax inc.
>541-476-3565
>scr echoweb net <mailto:scr echoweb net>

trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
>Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2003 9:39 PM
>Subject: (ET) GE Sep-Ex controllers?
>
>Hello ElecTrak Folks,
>
>Does anyone on this list have any experience with the GE
controllers for
>separately excited shunt field DC motor?   Any idea of cost?  Or
>reliability?  Or ease of installation and use?   I found them on
the net at
>this link:
>http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/products/products/products?pnlid=4
><http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/products/products/products?
pnlid=4&id=sx2se
>mtc> &id=sx2semtc .
>
>It appears they have an RS-232 interface, so they can be
programmed like the