Re: (ET) A charger question

On 15 Jul 2003 at 13:49, Roy Vanderhoef wrote:

> could I hook the three of them together in series (that is
> positive to negative) and then simply connect them across the full
> battery pack or directly in to the ET charger out put line???

Maybe.  But if they have any kind of charge control circuitry, this would
confuse it.  But there's no need to connect them in series.  Instead,
connect each charger to a series pair of 6-volt batteries.

One word of warning.  If one of the chargers fails, you may not notice the
failure right away.  This can lead to damage for the battery (batteries)
that didn't get properly charged.  And from what I've seen of the
low-budget
Chinese sweatshop stuff sold at Harbor Freight, a failure is pretty likely
before many years go by.

I suggest that if you want to try modular charging, you spend a little
more
money and buy better quality chargers.  I consider the $40 Cliplight brand
chargers I use about the minimum.  These are the ones in tall black
plastic
cases that you often see in NAPA stores.  I think K-Mart sells them under
its own brand, and I've seen them with the Exide brand on them too.
They're
made in Canada.

A rule of thumb for electric vehicles in general: your largest single
operating expense is battery amortization.  A good charger prolongs
battery
life; a cheap one can kill them in a few months.  If you buy a cheap
charger, you'll be paying for it the rest of the vehicle's life.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this
to all thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I
smite thee.