RE: (ET) Wrecked my deck.

Anything can be repaired; the real question is whether it is WORTH it.

First, hammering out the deck is a start.  I have seen LARGE fender
washers used under the deck and
no further repairs.  It can work if you go easy on the deck.  A better
solution is a 3" x 5" mild steel
plate under the deck, bolting through the weak section.  I have done that.
 If you can weld or braze the
plate under the deck it's even better.  Next step is a brace, like I had
pictures of (anyone still needing
them?) and mine are machined from aluminum bar, with a bottom plate and a
brace to the angle iron on my
deck.  Not all decks have the angle iron.  Many of my baffles are
tack-welded inside.

How to keep the tractor from driving over the deck?  There are several
types of deck.  Most have a front
roller.  If you have one, KEEP THE ROLLER MOUNTED.  My local hardware has
2.5" dia x 4" and 6" long plastic
rollers in stock.  They fit.  The front roller is 8" long.  Without the
roller, the bracket will dig in and
pull the deck down.  If you don't have a deck with a front roller, it
won't dig-in as easily.  A BIG HELP
is NOT TO LOWER the strap farther than you need to float!  The strap can
help keep you from digging in.
I have broken a strap when I was set just a little too low.  It sounds
trivial, but try it.  At the top of
a mound you have to lower the deck a bit; OK, but then raise it again as
soon as you don't need the extra
strap.  If the strap has only an inch or two of play, you may dig in but
you won't ride over the deck!

Larry Elie