(ET) My New Deck

Sorry to hear about your deck problems Chris, wish I could help.

My deck has had problems all season. When I got the tractor last fall it
came with both an old deck and a brand new shiny Bill Gunn built deck. I
decided to store the new deck and get what use I could out of the old one.

First problem was the baffles, their mount were rusted off. I attached
them with a huge cotter pin instead, it seemed to work. Then while my wife
was mowing she managed to lose one of the spacers for the castors.

The deck was weak and when I came to seriously uneven spots I could hear
it flex (the blades contacted surfaces)

Then I managed to lose a spacer off the other castor. I attached them with
spring clips instead of cotter pins.

Then my wife mowed without incident, however the following week I mowed
and my deck plowed right into the ground and I drove up it. I thought WTF
they isn't supposed to happen. I backed off the deck then started to mow
again and a few feet later it happened again. Turns out the center roller
is missing, and the mounts were digging into the ground. I can tell you
the E-trak will make a dandy dozer. Whats weird is the roller, axle,
washers, and pins are all gone. I have mowed over 5 times since, and not
one of those parts have appeared anywhere in the lawn.

So last week one of my baffles breaks off.

Ok! Enough of this crap! Time for the new deck. The first thing I did was
flip all of the carriage bolts over so the threads are on the outside of
the deck. Then went to Sears hardware and bought all new stainless steel
mounting bolts for everything. Cost about 9 bux. Mounted everything up.
However, I removed two of the rear rollers and replaced them with PVC
Pipe, much like someone on the list suggested (Thanks) New deck is much
quieter, rolls much better.

But! There's always a but isn't there. To get the same level of cut as my
old deck with 3 spacers, my new deck uses NONE, Zero, Zip, Nada. Is this
consistent with others findings?

Stay Charged!

Hump

--