From: Dave & Debbie Barden [mailto:daveb seanet com]
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2003 2:19 AM
To: lelie ford com; agp vt edu; elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: RE: (ET) Large Frame Mower Deck

I've not yet used my mower but this discussion has been interesting and
good
for my future reference.

so I am left with 2 dumb questions:
  1.  if the blades overlap how come they don't collide with one
another?
  2.  I haven't lookd closely but are the blades only sharpened on about
the
outside 3 inches or so?  and if so how is that the inner 10 or 11 inches
of
blade cut?

Like I said dumb questions but I was raised using a push reel mower.  My
father
also claimed they did a better job and would have nothing to do with a
rotary
mower because they hacked the grass rather than cut it.  Fortunately for
me we
lived in the city with a small lot and not much lawn.

dave
Seattle
E12S
E15mod

more
evenly
distributed.

> 3) With or without baffles?
>
> I never made it cut right (for a factory deck) without baffles.
>
> 4) What is cut height (number of spacers below front wheel caster
bearing)?

> It depends on what height you want.  I use 3 or 4 spacers below the
caster.

> 5)  What numbers and/or text appears on the deck nameplate?
>
> Now you're meddling.  No, I have used at least 3 types of deck, and
they all
can be made
to cut well.

> 6) Is deck OEM?
>
> Yes.
>
> 7) If it came with the ET, what is ET s/n?
>
> Ditto 5; it shouldn't matter.  E12/E15.
>

> First, check to see if the blades are turning the right way!
>
> Second, keep the INSIDE OF THE DECK CLEAN!  Don't try and mow 'damp'
grass.
If you have
too, that's fine,
> but don't expect it to look good.  It sticks in the deck and overloads
the
motors.  The
blades turn slow
> and it doesn't cut.  I use a 3 fingered weeder to scrape off any grass

thicker than 3/4"
on the inside of
> the deck.
>
> Third, sharpen the blades, ESPECIALLY THE OUTSIDE 3" and the tip.  If
the tip
isn't sharp
and square, you
> will leave the strips.  This isn't unique to the GE; I have seen it on
Bolens
and Sears
decks too.  It IS
> more pronounced as the GE tip speed is slower than on many other
decks; it
isn't the RPM
that cuts, it's
> the linear speed; a longer blade is turning faster.
>
> Fourth, are use using the SAME types of blades?  The 'lift' blade has
more
bend.  I have
used them, but am
> not at the moment.  I'm not sure, but I think they were standard on
the
side-discharge
deck.  Either will
> work, but your ground speed will be different.
>
> Fifth, is the deck LEVEL?  Front to back very important.
>
> Sixth, with rear discharge you want the rubber boot to spread the
clippings
more
uniformly.

> Seventh, when the blade is worn to the width of a butcher knife,
replace it.

> LAST, and most common mistake; don't expect it to mow if you can hear
the
blades slowing!
The GE mows at
> about 3,000 RPM as I recall.  With a radius of 7.25" or so, that's a
tip
speed of 127 MPH.
 Sound good?
> A Bolens 20 HP with 19" blades cuts at 3600 RPM; that's 203 MPH.
Don't get
me wrong;
anything like 100 MPH
> will cut fine, a reel mower is cutting in the 10's of MPH, and it
works ON A
LITTLE GRASS
AT A TIME!  The
> problem is that a gas tractor like a Bolens or a John Deere uses a
governor
to control the
engine speed;
> more grass and the RPM doesn't droop too much.  The GE gets more load
and the
current can
go way up to
> add power, but the RPM drops off REAL FAST.  You have all heard it.
When the
roar stops
you aren't cutting
> well.  Go slower.  Or raise the deck and go slow too.  If you're
re-cutting,
wait a day
and let the grass
> dry out so it doesn't plug the deck.  If you don't do this you will
ALWAYS
LEAVE TWO
STRIPS OF GRASS!

> If you do it right, you can cut as good as anyone.  My nephew has a
14.5 HP
Sears, and I
cut along with
> him at times.  I can leave the grass looking SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER than
he can
when cutting
more than an
> inch and a half of grass, but I can't do it as fast.
>
> Now if I could find one of the front-mounted GE reel mowers to try,
that
would be fun.