(ET) Re: looking for 36 volt charger...

On 23 Jun 2003 at 22:10, Dave & Debbie Barden wrote:

> What I don't know is if I can hook it
> up to the 3 pairs of 6volt batts without have to disconnect the pack in 3
> everytime I need to charge.

I looked into Statpower chargers of this type a few years ago; I was
considering them as "modular" chargers for a road EV.  I'm pretty sure the
company told me that they could NOT charge batteries that were in series,
because they had 2 or 3 separate charge controllers, but only one actual
power stage.

Apparently some brands can, though.  You should contact the company's tech
support staff and inquire.

If you can find the right type, this would probably be a good choice.  It
would charge each battery pair separately and thus avoid the excessive
overcharge required to balance a tapped pack.  The caveat is that you'd
probably want to change your lift tap to either 12 or 24 volts because
otherwise you'd still be unbalancing a pair of batteries.

I run my lift at 24 volts, and have had no problems.  However, I always
double-hook the strap no matter what attachment I use -- that way the
mechanical advantage is doubled and the speed halved.  That may be why I
can
get away with higher voltage when others have burned out their lift motors.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all

thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.

Est. yearly US cost to safeguard Persian Gulf oil supply: $50 billion

Est. 2001 value of US crude oil imports from Persian Gulf: $19 billion
                                -- Harper's Index, April 2002