RE: (ET) looking for 36 volt charger...

One possibility; get a combined inverter charger.  I looked into this a
few years ago, then
repaired what I had.  The price is 'cheap' (and of course, many people
suspect quality as soon as
'cheap' is mentioned).  I looked into a 'name-brand' Xantrex, a company I
deal with for work.  They
specialize in switching power supplies, but they didn't make a combo when
I asked last.  Here's an old
e-mail from a cheap Taiwanese company:

"
OK, I thought I might as well be complete on the 'cheap' inverters.

I e-mailed again, asking about combined inverter/chargers (I don't
much care for the ET charger) and the reply is below.  First another
thought.

Now I have been thinking.  I may yet design an inverter for this
puppy.  A 'cheap' power amplifier driven by an astable multivibrator
(if you don't know what that means, don't worry) is very easy to
do BUT the frequency would be high unless you use expensive caps.
It would not clock 60 Hz at all, but this could be done with the
transformer of the charger of the ET with only a few modifications.
Cost would be in the tens of dollars.  However, I am thinking about
doing a clocked design and doing it right.  Essentially the only
part of the charger you would use would be the transformer.  I think
I could upgrade the charger while I am at it.  This would cost more.
It might cost as much as the ones listed below.  It would be fairly
wimpy; Bill Gunn once told me the charger could put out 20 Amps for
a while (I haven't measured it-- has anyone else?) but that only
works out to something like 720 watts.  If that's continuous it might
do, but if it's intermittent it isn't that good.  Compare it with the
ones below.  I'm going to try and model the designs.  I will keep the
list posted.

Larry Elie

Here's the reply on the inverter/chargers.

Date : 05/Oct/00

Dear Mr. Larry Elie

Thanks for your reply.

Re : DC to AC Power Inverter with battery charger

Please kindly refer our best price as below -

                                      F.O.B. net Taiwan
G-36-060C (500W continuous)  US$115.00/pce
G-36-100C (800W continuous)  US$160.00/pce
G-36-150C (1200W continuous) US$260.00/pce

We wish your order will be confirmed soon.

Kind regards

Jason Chang