Re: (ET) Corrosion

On 7 Jun 2003 at 14:19, RJ Kanary wrote:

> Keeping the electrolyte at the minimum necessary level can reduce this
> concern. "Just enough to cover the plates."

That's probably OK if you're very careful.  But I don't think most people
should let it go that low, especially with the battery boiler these
tractors
use as a charger.

First, you're just too close for comfort, without enough margin of error.

Second, you're increasing the electrolyte concentration.  I don't know
that
it's a huge difference, maybe not even a significant one, but it does
change
the balance between active material capacity and electrolyte capacity.

You needn't (and probably shouldn't) fill all the way to the split ring,
but
I'd keep the level within a half-inch or so of it.

>  My weapon of choice for cleaning the battery tops is plain old household
> ammonia.

Sounds fine.  Like any other base, just be careful not to get any in the
cells.

I clean battery tops with dishwashing liquid (usually Ajax), a toothbrush
for the little crannies, and water.  However, since I'm using gel
batteries
in my ET, that's not really an issue.  I just wipe them down now and then
remove the accumulated dust.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all

thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.

Est. yearly US cost to safeguard Persian Gulf oil supply: $50 billion

Est. 2001 value of US crude oil imports from Persian Gulf: $19 billion
                                -- Harper's Index, April 2002