From: <thumphrey myself com>
To: <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2003 1:00 PM
Subject: (ET) Weird Battery Behavior

> Hi Guys;
>
> Hope everyone's well!
>
> I have some strange battery measurments and was wondering if someone
> would
want to speculate as to whats going on.

> I have a very fresh pack of Exide (Sams Club) batts in my trak. For the
first few runs I took great care to not use them much in order to properly
> initiate them. I would mow for about twent minutes then put them on
> charge
overnight then mow 20 minutes the next day. Did this for about 5 days.

> The Batts were all pretty close to one another measuring around 6.29
volts.
> Actually 4 bats were 6.28 and two were 6.30. Consistently, each time they
were measured with a rest after charge.  My DVM is rated at .5% accuracy
for
DC voltage.  So the margin of error at 6 volts is +-.03

> A few days ago I blew the top off on of them (thats another story). Well
anyway, I have two OLD Trojan T-105's that came with the tractor. They were
presumed dead. The P.O. told me they were dead. I put them on a automotive
charger in series when I got them home(Dec) "just because", charged them
overnight and then left them for dead.   Well anyway, my lawn needed mowing
and it is quite a trip for me to get to Sams Club to replace the blown
battery so I swapped out the better of the two Trojan's for the Exide with
the hole in it.

> Guess which battery blew? Yep had to disconnect all of the back pack and
pull two out to get to the one bad one.

> I did the same routine as before, cut for 20 mins, charge, cut 20
> minutes,
charge. Even though I had assumed the Trojan was scrap I didn't see a need
> to reverse a cell in it. So was trying to be careful.  It consistently
maintained a charge .4 volts lower than all of the rest of the pack. This
is
> what I had expected really.  I went out this morning to cycle my new
> Exide
a few times before putting it into the pack. While there I took some quick
measurements of the  packs batteries.

> Consistent with all of the other times. Three of the Exides measure 6.29v
2 of them measure 6.31v and the Trojan measures....what????, can't
be......it is measuring 6.42 volts. This is supposed to be a used up
battery. I thought that as batteries got near their end of life they had a
hard time coming up
> to voltage, and here this one is sitting at a resting voltage higher than
the new batteries have ever been(resting).