Re: (ET) Weird Battery Behavior

Battery chemistry varies among brands, so fully charged specific gravity
and
voltage will also vary.  A higher resting voltage isn't necessarily an
indication that a battery is "better."  IMO, Trojan is a better battery
than
Exide (at least in golf car batteries), but I don't think the resting
voltage is related to that.

Also, resting voltage won't be valid until the battery has been off charge
for several hours -- at least overnight.  The amount of time that it takes
for surface voltage to disappear might vary too, though I've never looked
into that.  Specific gravity is always a better measure of state of charge
than voltage.

It's vaguely possible that the previous owner reconcentrated the
electrolyte
in the Trojan to get a little more use out of it.  This is an old trick.
It
does seem to restore capacity, but it causes more depreciation in the long
run.  Batteries are designed to have a certain balance between active
material in the plates and electrolyte concentration.  The electrolyte
turns
to water and the voltage drops before the active material can be over-
discharged.  When you reconcentrate the electrolyte in an old battery,  it
doesn't restore the lost active material to the plates, so they will tend
over-discharge and become damaged.

Disclaimer: I'm not an electrochemist, this is just my understanding of
how
batteries work.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all

thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.

Est. yearly US cost to safeguard Persian Gulf oil supply: $50 billion

Est. 2001 value of US crude oil imports from Persian Gulf: $19 billion
                                -- Harper's Index, April 2002