RE: (ET) charger

My GUESS (as I wasn't there...)...

I think they feared that some people would be using the ET on a plug in
the garage or barn that had
other 'issues'.  For example, voltage drop due to other loads, or droop
from a long cord.  The
scenario would have gone like this...

Joe plugs in the ET at 6:00 in off a 50' extension cord.  Although his
garage is 115V, the voltage
at the end of his cord under load is about 100V.  He charges for 2 hours,
and then... he plugs
something in on the other leg of the 230V going into the garage.  The
neutral shifts.  The charge
rate changes a LOT.  Then he plugs in his saw, same line, it changes
AGAIN.  Yes, they wanted
constant (or more likely CONSISTENT) voltage.  They knew the current
changes would change the
voltage, but they knew that Joe would be plenty mad when his batteries
that charged in 5 hours on
Tuesday didn't charge in 5 hours on Thursday.  The customer is ALWAYS
right, and Joe now 'knows' he
needs new batteries before the warranty ends.  I believe battery life (or
better... charging) was
what killed the ET.  Dealers replacing things that weren't 'broke' to keep
their customers happy.
Next time the dealer sold them a John Deere or Bolens.

Again, that's just a guess; there may be other reasons to use the charger.
 I work for a big company
(Ford) and sometimes we use a ridiculously expensive (more likely
ridiculously cheap...) part just
because of packaging, availability or some deal cut with a vendor.  Those
are probably just as likely.

Larry Elie